Family run since its inception nearly fifty ago Goresbridge Horse Sales in Co Kilkenny, is Ireland’s biggest and most successful sport and leisure horse auction. It is ideally situated in the heart of Ireland’s horse breeding country where it stages seven performance sales throughout the year.
Among these is the flagship eight-day fixture in early September, which offers nearly 2,000 horses from the age of three and is probably the largest of its genre in Europe.
Further dates include the prestigious Go For Gold sale of select event horses in November, the record breaking Supreme Sale of Show Jumpers, as well as the early season Select Event Horse Sale at the end of May. This year the latter sale will be run in association with Tattersalls Ireland, and as a result will be staged during the showcase international horse trials at Tattersalls, in Co Meath at the end of May.
Completing the line-up are specialist sales of registered Connemara and Irish Draught stock, sport horse foals and brood mares as well as the regular bi-monthly dispersals of horses and ponies.
As always Martin Donohoe, his family and staff will assure you of a warm welcome, a professional service and will be happy to assist you in any way.
Of course, a sale is only as successful as its graduates and 2017 proved to be yet another outstanding year. Among those making headlines were:
- The show jumper A Touch Imperious (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up in the British Jumping Derby at Hickstead in 2017. The duo was also regular Nations Cup members for the British team.
- The event horse Cooley SRS was ranked the third highest Irish bred event horse in the world in 2017.
- The show jumper Quality Old Joker (Holly Smith) enjoyed another fantastic season in 2017, winning the Puissance at Liverpool, and filling the runner up spot at both London Olympia and the Horse of the Year Show.
- The show jumper Silver Lift (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up the British Speed Derby at Hickstead.
- Poynstown Stonehaven (Go For Gold Graduate) ridden by Tracy Walshe was crowned the Burghley Young Event Horse five-year-old champion 2017.
- The show jumper Dougie Douglas, who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers (2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season with new rider Katy Dinan, winning the $50,000 WEF Grand Prix, and placed fourth in the Nations Cup at Hickstead.
- The event horse Copper Beach (Bruce Davidson Jnr) won a further three international classes in 2017 including the CCI3* at Kalispell, and the CIC3* classes at Unionville and Fairburn.
- Ivar Gooden (Imogen Murray). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*.
- Ringwood Skyboy (Tim Price). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*
- LCC Cooley (Go For Gold), Perusing (Go For Gold) and Tullabeg Horizon were all selected to represent Ireland at the Junior European event championships.
- Ard Ginger Pop (Alison Robitaille). Winner of The Bourban International $10000 1.40m and the HITS $1500 Enviro Equine Jumper 1.40m. Winner of the seven-year-old qualifier in Kentucky, and placed at Valencia CSIYH1* (1.40m).
- Javas Wild Child (Jessie Drea). Winner of the 1.45m class at the CSI3* Bethune 2016.
- The show horse Bloomfield Bespoke (Jane Bradbury) won the hunter championship at Balmoral, and headed the middleweight class at
- Cybel (Jess Dimmock). Double clear round in the Grand Prix at Oliva, Valencia.
- Talks Cheap (Michael Duffy). Successfully competing at 1.40m level.
- The show horse Bloomfield Valhalla (Jane Webber) won the novice championship at Windsor, and won at the
- Electric Feel (Jennifer Kuehnle) won the 1.40m grand prix at Millstreet 2016The show jumper Killossery Kaiden competed in the World Young Horse championships at Lanaken.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
- In 2016, two Goresbridge graduates filled top ten placings in the eventing competition at the Rio Olympic Games.
- Mighty Nice (Philip Dutton) who won the individual bronze medal in 2016, was crowned America’s event horse of the year.
- The top three Irish bred event horses in the WBFSH (2016) world rankings were sourced at
- At the CSIO in Odense in 2014, the winning British Nations Cup squad was filled entirely by Goresbridge graduates (Dougie Douglas, A Touch Imperious, Santa Cruise and Touchable).
- An impressive 44% of all Irish horses competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games were sold at Goresbridge.
- 28% of the eventing medals at the Hong Kong 2008 Olympic Games were claimed by Goresbridge graduates.