Having celebrated its half century in 2018, the family run Goresbridge Horse
Sales in Co Kilkenny continues to hold its place as Ireland’s biggest and most
successful sport and leisure horse auction. Ideally situated in the heart of
Ireland’s horse breeding country, the purpose-built complex stages seven
performance sales throughout the year.
Among these is the flagship six-day fixture in early September, which offers
hundreds of horses from the age of three and is probably the largest of its genre
Further dates include the prestigious Go For Gold sale of select event horses in
November, as well as sales of thoroughbred bloodstock, sport horse foals and
brood mares. and the bi-monthly general dispersals of horses and ponies.
As always Martin and Mary Frances Donohoe, their family and staff will assure
you of a warm welcome, a professional service and will be happy to assist you
in any way.
2019 turned out to be another outstanding year for Goresbridge,
with the sales returns illustrating a growing confidence in the
market. Breeders and producers were well rewarded, while we
welcomed an ever-increasing number of customers from all
corners of the globe.
Not everyone is looking for a superstar, but for those who are –
our world class graduates enjoyed another great season. The year
opened with an eventing Badminton winner in Vanir Kamira
(Piggy French), continued when A Touch Imperious (Harriet
Nuttall) filled the runner up spot in the Al Shira’aa British
Jumping Derby at Hickstead, and concluded when Quality Old
Joker (Harry Whall) shared the puissance title at the Liverpool
A further batch of event horses, show jumpers and show horses
exceeded at the very top of their sport. (See graduates page for
further successes) and notably when three graduates featured in
the top ten at one of the toughest Burghley competitions in recent years.
Among those standing out this year are:
VANIR KAMIRA (Piggy French) – WINNER OF BADMINTON 2019 and
RUNNER-UP at BURGHLEY.
IVAR GOODEN (Imogen Murray) Top ten Badminton and Burghley.
RINGWOOD SKY BOY (Tim Price) Winner Burghley 2018 and top ten
A TOUCH IMPERIOUS (Harriet Nuttall) Runner up in the Hickstead
Jumping Derby 2019 was a member of the British Nations Cup squad at
Dublin, and a major winner on the premier circuit.
BROOKFIELD INNOCENT (Piggy French) winner Blenheim CCI4* 2019
QUALITY OLD JOKER (Harry Whall) uality Old Joker (Holly Smith)
Winner puissance Liverpool CSIO4* 2019 and well placed on the premier
SANTIAGO BAY (Gemma Tattersall) Top ten Burghley 2019
NOVEMBER NIGHT (Ciaran Glynn) Represented Ireland at the European
championships 2019, top twenty Badminton 2019
DEEP POCKETS (Kate Derwin) Winner of the young riders finals at
Opglabbeek (Belgium) and runner up in the U25 Grand Prix des Espoir
KILRODAN SAILORETTE (Nicky Hill) Winner of Hickstead Eventing
Grand Prix and the Bolesworth Eventing Grand Prix.
SBT GOOD GUY (Michael Nolan) Runner up CCI4*-S Bromont (Canada).
LIMESTONE ROMEO (Ellie Hope) Winner CCI3*-L Blair Castle 2019.
COOLEY SRS placed third at Badminton 2018
COOLEY LANDS represented Australia at the World Equestrian Games
Silver Lift (Harriet Nuttall) Winner at Liverpool CSIO4* 2019 and enjoyed another
Dougie Douglas, who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers
(2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season
with Katy Dinan. A regular in classes up to 1.60m, his many top placings include the
runner up placing in the World Cup qualifier at Washington (CSIO4*).
Copper Beach (Bruce Davidson Jnr) has now won four, three-star events and
gained a top ten placing at Rolex (CCIO4* in 2018).
Trinity Match Me (Millie Earnshaw) Reserve champion Burghley Young Event
Horse finals 2019.
MMF Churchill (Steven Smith) Reserve champion Dublin Young Event Horse finals
Cybel (Jessie Dymock). Successfully jumping at 150 – 155m level in USA.
Bloomfield Bespoke. Winner Middleweight hunters Bramham 2019.
RINGWOOD SKY BOY winner Burghley CCI4* 2018.
COOLEY SRS placed third at Badminton 2018.
COOLEY LANDS represented Australia at the World Equestrian Games.
- A Touch Imperious (Harriet Nuttall) was a member of the British Nations Cup squad at Dublin, and a major winner on the premier circuit.
- Silver Lift (Harriet Nuttall) enjoyed another super season, winning several speed classes including at Liverpool (CSIO4*)
- Dougie Douglas, who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers (2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season with new rider Katy Dinan. A regular in classes up to 1.60m, his many top placings include the runner up placing in the World Cup qualifier at Washington (CSIO4*).
- Copper Beach (Bruce Davidson Jnr) has now won four, three-star events and gained a top ten placing at Rolex (CCIO4*).
- Ivar Gooden (Imogen Murray). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*.
- Watts Burn (Nicky Roncoroni). Placed 12th Paul CCIO4*.
- Quality Old Joker (Holly Smith) Placed 5th in the Hamburg Jumping Derby, and well placed on the premier CSIO5*) circuit.
- Cybel (Laura Chapot). Successfully jumping at 140m – 150m level in USA.
- Bloomfield Valhalla (Polly Coles) Supreme Champion at the British National Hunter Show 2018.
Of course, a sale is only as successful as its graduates and 2017 proved to be yet another outstanding year. Among those making headlines were:
- The show jumper A Touch Imperious (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up in the British Jumping Derby at Hickstead in 2017. The duo was also regular Nations Cup members for the British team.
- The event horse Cooley SRS was ranked the third highest Irish bred event horse in the world in 2017.
- The show jumper Quality Old Joker (Holly Smith) enjoyed another fantastic season in 2017, winning the Puissance at Liverpool, and filling the runner up spot at both London Olympia and the Horse of the Year Show.
- The show jumper Silver Lift (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up the British Speed Derby at Hickstead.
- Poynstown Stonehaven (Go For Gold Graduate) ridden by Tracy Walshe was crowned the Burghley Young Event Horse five-year-old champion 2017.
- The show jumper Dougie Douglas, who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers (2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season with new rider Katy Dinan, winning the $50,000 WEF Grand Prix, and placed fourth in the Nations Cup at Hickstead.
- The event horse Copper Beach (Bruce Davidson Jnr) won a further three international classes in 2017 including the CCI3* at Kalispell, and the CIC3* classes at Unionville and Fairburn.
- Ivar Gooden (Imogen Murray). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*.
- Ringwood Skyboy (Tim Price). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*
- LCC Cooley (Go For Gold), Perusing (Go For Gold) and Tullabeg Horizon were all selected to represent Ireland at the Junior European event championships.
- Ard Ginger Pop (Alison Robitaille). Winner of The Bourban International $10000 1.40m and the HITS $1500 Enviro Equine Jumper 1.40m. Winner of the seven-year-old qualifier in Kentucky, and placed at Valencia CSIYH1* (1.40m).
- Javas Wild Child (Jessie Drea). Winner of the 1.45m class at the CSI3* Bethune 2016.
- The show horse Bloomfield Bespoke (Jane Bradbury) won the hunter championship at Balmoral, and headed the middleweight class at
- Cybel (Jess Dimmock). Double clear round in the Grand Prix at Oliva, Valencia.
- Talks Cheap (Michael Duffy). Successfully competing at 1.40m level.
- The show horse Bloomfield Valhalla (Jane Webber) won the novice championship at Windsor, and won at the
- Electric Feel (Jennifer Kuehnle) won the 1.40m grand prix at Millstreet 2016The show jumper Killossery Kaiden competed in the World Young Horse championships at Lanaken.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
- In 2016, two Goresbridge graduates filled top ten placings in the eventing competition at the Rio Olympic Games.
- Mighty Nice (Philip Dutton) who won the individual bronze medal in 2016, was crowned America’s event horse of the year.
- The top three Irish bred event horses in the WBFSH (2016) world rankings were sourced at
- At the CSIO in Odense in 2014, the winning British Nations Cup squad was filled entirely by Goresbridge graduates (Dougie Douglas, A Touch Imperious, Santa Cruise and Touchable).
- An impressive 44% of all Irish horses competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games were sold at Goresbridge.
- 28% of the eventing medals at the Hong Kong 2008 Olympic Games were claimed by Goresbridge graduates.