The success of any sales company ultimately relies on its graduates, and in this regard Goresbridge is second to none. In the past four decades, graduates have competed at the highest level and boast some enviable statistics.
Family run for nearly half a century, Goresbridge Horse Sales in Co Kilkenny is recognised as Ireland’s major source of top international sport horses, leisure horses and hunters.
The sales complex is situated in the heart of Ireland’s premier horse breeding country, where seven performance sales are staged each year. Among these is the flagship ten-day sale in early September, which offers around 1500 horses from the age of three and is probably the largest fixture of its genre in Europe.
Further dates include the phenomenally successful thoroughbred flat Breeze Up sale, the prestigious Go For Gold sale of select event horses, the record breaking Supreme Sale of Show Jumpers, and the exciting *May Select* event horse sale. This year, for the first time, the latter fixture will be run in association with Tattersalls and will be staged during the International Horses Trials at Tattersalls on May 31st.
Completing the line-up are specialist sales of registered Connemara and Irish Draught stock, sport horse foals and brood mares as well as the regular monthly dispersals of horses and ponies.
- The leader in its field, Goresbridge graduates have represented their countries at every major show jumping and eventing championships, accounting for 44% of the Irish bred horses at the London Olympic Games and 28% of the equestrian medallists in the Olympic Games in Beijing.
- In 2016, two Goresbridge graduates filled top ten placings in the individual eventing competition at the Rio Olympic Games.
- At the CSIO in Odense in 2014, the winning British Nations Cup squad was filled entirely by Goresbridge graduates (Dougie Douglas, A Touch Imperious, Santa Cruise and Touchable).
2017 proved yet another outstanding year for Goresbridge graduates, and among those making headlines were:
- The show jumper A Touch Imperious (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up in the British Jumping Derby at Hickstead in 2017. The duo was also regular Nations Cup members for the British team.
- The event horse Cooley SRS was ranked the third highest Irish bred event horse in the world in 2017.
- The show jumper Quality Old Joker (Holly Smith) enjoyed another fantastic season in 2017, winning the Puissance at Liverpool, and filling the runner up spot at both London Olympia and the Horse of the Year Show.
- The show jumper Silver Lift (Harriet Nuttall) was runner up the British Speed Derby at Hickstead.
- Poynstown Stonehaven (Go For Gold Graduate) ridden by Tracy Walshe was crowned the Burghley Young Event Horse five-year-old champion 2017.
- The show jumper Dougie Douglas (Katie Dinan) who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers (2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season, winning at Harrisburg and gaining numerous placings up to 1.50m level.
- The event horse Copper Beach (Bruce Davidson Jnr) won a further three international classes in 2017 including the CCI3* at Kalispell, and the CIC3* classes at Unionville and Fairburn.
- The show horse Bloomfield Bespoke (Jane Bradbury) won the hunter championship at Balmoral, and headed the middleweight class at
- The show jumper Killossery Kaiden competed in the World Young Horse championships at Lanaken.
- LCC Cooley (Go For Gold), Perusing (Go For Gold) and Tullabeg Horizon were all selected to represent Ireland at the Junior European event championships.
- Ivar Gooden (Imogen Murray). Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*.
- Ringwood Skyboy. Completed Burghley and Badminton CCI4*.
- The show horse Bloomfield Valhalla (Jane Webber) won the novice championship at Windsor, and won at the
Also posting some outstanding results were the show jumpers Cybel, Dekato and numerous others.
While the Donohoe family at Goresbridge are justifiably proud of the achievements of these competition horses, they are equally rewarded by success stories of the thousands of horses and ponies who give pleasure to those who ride for fun.
Sourced by both private and commercial buyers, these leisure horses, ponies and hunters sell in significant numbers throughout the year and attract customers from all corners of the world.
The majority of horses are sold at the sale complex at Goresbridge, where there are seven Sport Horse Performance sales throughout the year. At these sales, every horse can be seen performing prior to sale, either in the purpose built indoor arena or on one of the two all-weather surfaces. Each horse is sold with a veterinary certificate from one of a panel of specialist equine veterinary surgeons.
The reputation of Goresbridge graduates is renowned, and the team at Goresbridge is committed to providing a service in line with that reputation. So, in conclusion, whatever you require, the Donohoe family will assure you of a warm welcome, a professional service, and will be happy to assist you in every way possible.
What They Say:
“I first attended Goresbridge as a boy with my father – and now I bring my son. During this time Goresbridge has consistently provided us with the quality of horse that we, and our customers require.” Jim Derwin, leading dealer and producer.
“We get a really big buzz from going to Goresbridge. We have bought some lovely horses – you can never tell what you might find.” David Tatlow and Lorraine Homer. Leading Show Horse producers UK.
“Goresbridge has been a very lucky sale for us and is the best place we know to buy the quality of horse we look for – and at value.” Graham and Holly Smith. Producers of former Goresbridge graduates Dougie Douglas and the recent HOYS Puissance victor Quality Old Joker. .
“Goresbridge in September is a important venue for me when it comes to sourcing potentially top class three-year-olds.” Oliver Townend. (British event team rider).
“There is no choice like a great choice when it comes to Goresbridge.” Donal Barnwell. Leading event horse producer. UK
“Goresbridge is a real eye opener – so many horses to choose from and to suit all personal opinions.” Rodney Powell. International Event Rider.
“Goresbridge is always exciting, and like Pandora’s box you never know what will appear.” Clare Ryan. International Agent.
“Goresbridge has been a lucky venue for us, and usually we go home with a smile on our faces.” Anne and Louise Lyons and Kelly Ward. Leading show and event horse producers.
THE GO FOR GOLD SALE
The Goresbridge Go For Gold Sale of pre-selected event horses has been the success story of recent years. Now heading into its eighth renewal, the sale has truly achieved its aim of bringing together Ireland’s best young event horses to one venue for one sale.
Staged in November at Barnadown and the Amber Springs Hotel in Co Wexford, the sale offers around 50 proven and potential event horses from the age of three, all of whom have been selected by a highly experienced panel of producers and international riders.
Always affordable, the 2017 returns produced a top price of €130,000. A further thirty-five lots realised in excess of €10,000, leading to an average of €19,848 (€14.750 for the three-year-olds).
Of course, the reputation of any sale relies of the success of its graduates, and in this regard the Go For Gold sale is second to none.
Although it is still in its relative infancy, graduates are making progress through the grades, with several already achieving international honours.
PROMINENT GO FOR GOLD WINNERS IN 2017
- Copper Beach (ridden by Bruce Davidson Jnr) won the Plantation Fields CIC3* 2017, CIC3* Cahatahoochee Hills 2017. Winner of four, three-star events. Top ten finish at Rolex CCI4*.
- Cooley Rorkes Drift (ridden by Jonty Evans) was placed ninth individually at the Rio Olympic Games.
- Sacramento (Kylie Lyman) won the CIC3* at Jersey Fresh. Placed third in the CCI3* at Bromont.
- Cooley SRS (Oliver Townend) Represnted team GB at the European championships 2017. Runner up in the CCI3* Ballindenisk. Placed fifth at Blenheim.CCI3*.
- November Night (Ciaran Glynn). Completed Badminton CCI4* 2017. Top ten placing at Blenheim CCI3* 2017 and 4th Millstreet CIC3* 2017.
- Gorsehill Pearl (Joseph Murphy). Placed Bramham CIC3* 2017. Seventh CCI3* Ballindenisk. Double clear Chatsworth CIC***.
- Poynstown Stonehaven (Tracy Walshe). Burghley Five-Year-old Champion 2017.
- Big Berry (Piggy French) – 57 British Eventing points in his first season.
- Castlerichmond (Roberto Rotarori) Placed fifth CICO3* Varano. Completed Blenheim CIC3* 2017
- LCC Cooley (Correna Bowe). Member of Ireland’s junior European championship squad in Millstreet 2017.
- Member of Ireland’s young rider European championship squad at Millstreet 2017.
- Fernhill Full Throttle (Jenny Caras). Runner-up Plantation Fields CIC2* and also Richland.
- Bonmahon Wave Dancer (Mikhail Nastenko) placed fourth CCI3* Konakovo.
- Exclusively Cooley (Kim Severson) and Summerbridge Parc (Tamie Smith), Winners of the East and West Coast young event horse finals in USA 2017.
- Kilcannon Harley Cruise. Double clear Blenheim CIC3* 2017.
Other notable winners include:
Prince Mayo CCI3* Tattersalls 2016, Castlerichmond SRS (Roberto Rotarori) won the CIC2* Taipana. Placed fifth CICO3* Varano. LCC Cooley (Correna Bowe). Member of Ireland’s junior Eurpean championship squad. Reenmore Alfie, CCI1* winner in Stzregom 2016 and CIC1* Baborowko.
MGS Smarty (Eleanor Hope). Winner CCIJ1* Tattersalls.
SBT Barolo. Leading USA national rankings pre-novice 2016.
Kilcannon Harley Cruise. Dual intermediate winner in England.
- “There was a wonderful selection of horses at the auction, and I bought a phenomenal horse at a fantastic price. I really enjoyed the whole experience. It was great to see so many quality horses all in one place – and to end up buying one at such good value was a huge bonus.” – Boyd Martin (USA event team rider.)
- Izzy Taylor. I am delighted with the two Go For Gold horses I have in the yard. I paid my first visit with an owner last year and feel that the one we bought is potentially top class.
- “The Goresbridge Go For Gold sale in November has become a firm date in my diary. I have sourced a top class horse from the sale, which I consider to be very professionally run and always a great night out.” Oliver Townend. (British event team rider).
- “All the horses I have ridden or come across have been good horses, without a shadow of a doubt. The really good horses make a premium, but there are definitely deals to be had. I have a great deal of faith in the veterinary panel. You can have sensible chats with the vets and can email the vettings and the X-rays to your own vet for their verdict. I also have a lot of faith in the team – especially Sally Parkyn and Martin Donohoe. They are leaders in their field.”
- Jonty Evans. (International Event Rider and producer and rider of Cooley Rorkes Drift)
- Gorsebridge is an extremely professional operation, and that has been an ingredient for its success. I can’t say enough good things about the organisation of it.” Ruthie Meyer. International agent
- “I’m an amateur event rider with big dreams. Year after year the horses that I have sourced through the Go For Gold sale have been genuine, talented and kind spirited. I have recently sold one to Lucinda Green – I never imagined that I would be in the position to sell a potential top horse to one of my idols – truly wonders never cease!” Kelly McCarthy Maine.
- “I have bought three horses at the Go For Gold sale for owners and have been delighted with all of them. It saved me searching the country, as I knew that the expert panel would identify top quality stock. The sale has superb trial facilities and is professionally run – I would highly recommend it.” – Joseph Murphy, Irish Olympic rider.
- A professionally run and marketed sale – and one that we are proud to support.” Richard Sheane, - Cooley Horses International.
- “The fact you can see all the horses jump and go across country over fantastic facilities was excellent. This coupled with being able to try them means I shall be back – it’s also a much more enjoyable way to view 60 horses!” Sharon Hunt, Olympic bronze medallist.
- “The best of fun – a chance to really study young Irish horses – fascinating.” Lucinda Green.
GORESBRIDGE SUPREME SALE OF SHOW JUMPERS
Goresbridge raised the bar yet again, when the second running of the Supreme Sales of show jumpers produced some outstanding returns. The sale of Nickoletta K at €460,000 was the highlight of the evening, while the Lanaken gold medallist Killossery Kaiden changed hands for €270,000. Staged at Barnadown the evening before the Go For Gold sale, the sale renewal delivered an average of €84,781.
- The show jumper Dougie Douglas, who was sold at the Goresbridge Supreme sale of Show Jumpers (2015) for a record breaking €1.4 million enjoyed another top international season with new rider Katy Dinan, winning the $50,000 WEF Grand Prix, and placed fourth in the Nations Cup at Hickstead. “Dougie Douglas has been everything we hoped for and more” said Katie Dinan
- The show jumper Quality Old Joker (Supreme sale of Show Jumpers) partnered by Holly Smith, won the Puissance at the Horse of The Year Show in London.
- Ard Ginger Pop (Alison Robitaille). Winner of The Bourban International $10000 1.40m and the HITS $1500 Enviro Equine Jumper 1.40m. Winner of the seven-year-old qualifier in Kentucky, and placed at Valencia CSIYH1* (1.40m).
- Javas Wild Child (Jessie Drea). Winner of the 1.45m class at the CSI3* Bethune 2016.
- Cybel (Jess Dimmock). Double clear round in the Grand Prix at Oliva, Valencia.
- Talks Cheap (Michael Duffy). Successfully competing at 1.40m level.
- Electric Feel (Jennifer Kuehnle) won the 1.40m grand prix at Millstreet 2016.
- Evergreen M (Lawrence Mowatt). Is successfully competing in South Africa at 1.30m level.
Ard Ginger Pop
Ballynoe Castle RM
Mr Cruise Control